Tuesday 1 December 2015

Introduction to Nordic Noir: A Celebration from a Canadian Fan

Nordic Noir: A Celebration from a Canadian Fan


I am fortunate to be studying the Digital Marketing course at the University of Toronto, School of Continuing Studies, under Michelle Corsano. (You can connect with Michelle Corsano at +Michelle Corsano  )

My public relations company, DHPR Communications Inc., specializes in dynamic promotion campaigns for Canadian book publishers, arts organizations and not-for-profit organizations. For 25 years, I was honoured to provide publicity consultation to the Canada Council for the Arts on the Governor General's Literary Awards.

I am fascinated with how social media has created a global community with immediate updates from anywhere in the world. My Twitter handle is @dhargravepr.  I thought the best method to understand the potential of social media would be to participate in a course that caters to professionals. The most fascinating guest lecturer was Rob Pellettier whose presentation covered Online Advertising and introduced us to the Canadian Programmatic Landscape.

For the second major project for this course, I am publishing a blog.

Many friends and associates often ask me what is Nordic Noir.  I am a major fan of the mysteries, thrillers and detective novels published in Iceland, Sweden and Norway and available in English translation. I thought a blog would be the best way to introduce book lovers looking for a new genre to Nordic Noir. 




http://www.cardigansandcravats.com/blog/2015/1/14/book-awards-2014

Photo via www.cardigansandcravats


In this blog, I have chosen to focus on the following authors:

  • Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö
  • Camilla Läckberg
  • Karin Fossum
  • Jo Nesbo
  • Åke Edwardson
  • Arnaldur Indridason
  • Henning Mankell

I have chosen one title by each of these authors to promote. Where possible, I have included a link to either the author's website or the publisher's website that allows the visitor to check out an excerpt from the book. 

I will start with Maj Sjöwall  and Per Wahlöö,  as they are the crime fiction writers who launched Nordic Noir.



No comments:

Post a Comment